Letters From An Old Etonian: Letter Two

Sunday, November 25, 2012

I have to admit that I was rather reluctant to post these here at first, as my instructor Herman Bagstock could have probably sued me for libel if he found these. However, he's very fortunately dead, so this can go on the internet and I don't have to worry about a thing.

This is the second of a series of stories I wrote when I was a schoolboy at Eton. They've been dubbed 'the Dirty Schoolboy Papers' because they're extremely inappropriate because when you're around that age you think that sort of thing is hilarious.

All names, including the surnames of my friends, have been changed because when I wrote this I didn't want to get in trouble.


 

Believe it or not, old Bigsby had some friends at Eton who were perfectly human. One of his closest friends was Mr. Nazus.[1] I have chosen that particular pseudonym due to one of the man’s most interesting qualities. He was tall and elegant – and rather attractive in the eyes of the ladies, as I am told – and carried himself like an aristocrat. He looked very proper overall, and we expected him to speak in a clipped, proper accent to match.

We never heard Mr. Nazus speak until he walked into the classroom that day to teach us arithmetic. This moment is the reason I have christened him with this unusual moniker – his voice, you see, was not at all what we expected it to be. When he said, “Good morning, students,” to us, we could not believe it – someone was surely throwing his voice. I glanced at William, who was biting his lower lip and contorting his face in a most valiant attempt to keep himself from laughing.

Mr. Nazus had a high-pitched, nasal voice, almost as if a little man sat atop his head and climbed down to pinch his nose every time he spoke. I sank down in my chair, taking care not to make eye contact with William lest he laugh, and contemplated this unusual speech pattern. There were certain words that would sound terribly humorous if he said them – words that would surely set the class off, and I, as a serious, responsible person, felt a twinge of pity for him. I would learn later that he, like Mr. Bigsby before him, did not deserve the sympathy I had considered bestowing upon him. I suppose he and old Bigsby were in league with one another to make our lives most miserable indeed.

“Class,” he addressed us, “today I am going to begin your arithme-TIC lesson with some review. What did yeeeew learn last year?”

William buried his face into his desktop, wrapping his arms around his head. His shoulders shook as if he had just come in from the cold and was attempting to warm up by the fire. A few other young gentlemen saw him and began to follow his example, unable to help themselves. I conceded a smile, but I hid it with my hand and disposed of it quickly.
A student volunteered the information Mr. Nazus had requested, and before long the lesson was underway. The class was about half an hour old when another instructor knocked on the door and entered upon hearing Mr. Nazus’ whiny shout of, “Come iiiin!” It was, much to our surprise, old Bigsby, his face as flat and equine as ever.

“Hello, children,” he said.

Somebody in the back of the room neighed. William was unable to help it; he began laughing. The rest of the class joined in, however, which saved him from a great deal of embarrassment. I will confess that I had to bite my lip rather hard to keep from chiming in myself and I nearly bled on my slate, but I was able to restrain my own laughter. I did, however, have to hold my handkerchief to my mouth for the rest of the class.

Bigsby and Nazus, I must tell you, reacted rather unusually. Both of them turned matching shades of pink, and they began to mutter and grumble and make other sounds that did not exactly form understandable words. It made sense for Bigsby to respond thus, as his liaisons with Lady Cordelia made perfectly clear, but the fact that Nazus did the same thing was rather suspicious.

“Basil, I have a theory.” William proposed his new idea once we were outside, away from the ears of adults and prefects.

“Do you?” I asked him somewhat rhetorically. I fully expected him to proceed, so my question was unnecessary. Had I not wished for him to go on, it would have been entirely rhetorical, but it was not thus.

“Yes. Perhaps Mr. Nazus and Mr. Bigsby have orgies with the horse.” (William has an older brother and thus knew far more about the art of copulation than I did at that age, but I learned quickly and was fully aware of what he meant on that occasion.)

It was a disgusting, horrible theory. In fact, it was so disgusting and horrible that it broke my serious resolve and made me laugh immoderately. When I managed to recover myself and regained control of my emotions, I informed William that I agreed with him. It made perfect sense for Nazus, Bigsby and Cordelia to share their pleasure – Bigsby and Nazus were old friends, and Cordelia belonged to Bigsby. She was a large enough horse that both men could ride her at the same time.

Our conversation was overheard by some rather notorious gossips – it must have been, for our theory spread like the plague all over Eton. The first block students, who were one year younger than us, began to whisper nervously, concerned about the instructors they would inherit from us next year. The boys who were older than us seemed thrilled by this revelation, and we even saw prefects laughing about it.[2] I have to admit that William and I were exceedingly proud of ourselves.
Mr. Nazus seemed to be oblivious to the rumours that persisted about his rampant sexual romps with Bigsby and Cordelia. He would simply instruct us until class was over, ignoring the questions some of us would throw at him and the drawings on the sheets of paper that William had stacked up on his desk. (As an art student, William was permitted to carry his papers around, which nearly always worked to his advantage as it allowed him to create caricatures whilst he could actually see his models.)

Nazus did, however, unleash a sort of savagery on students who were late for class. He would scream at them, threatening them with the rod, every Etonian’s least favourite chastisement, and nearly frighten them out of the classroom. I made it a point to be early, of course, and I do not recall that William and my other friends were ever late. One boy, however, was consistently late for class, and he became Nazus’ mortal enemy, I am sad to report. The boy had a rather long walk and could not help being tardy – he received our sympathy, which occasionally meant we would lend him cushions to sit on after he had been on the receiving end of a Nazus flogging. We got the impression that Nazus enjoyed the use of his cane a bit too much, which naturally led to William’s inclusion of a horse whip in nearly all of his drawings featuring our favourite threesome of tutors and animals.

In general, though, we were finding that we had an awful lot to worry about – one of our tutors was fond of bestiality, whilst another had apparently read a bit too much de Sade for our liking. We were in need of someone with more experience to warn us about what we would undergo in coming months.

Fortunately, we found Algernon.


[1] His real name is Harvey Pankhurst. ‘Nazus’ is Latin for ‘nose;’ I selected the pseudonym due to the sound of Pankhurst’s voice, as described in the story.
[2] I ironically later became a prefect when I was studying for my entrance exams to Oxford. I stayed on at Eton for the extra year in order to do so, as did William. During this time Will and I wrote Much Ado About Neighthing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment